BashTheBug on the Zooniverse News

NEW ethambutol images

You may have noticed the images recently have not had much bacterial growth on them, which, if I was doing lots of classifications, would be a bit boring and also difficult. That was because these were all taken after the M.tuberculosis had only been growing for a week.

Well, we’ve got through these now (and I don’t want to anticipate the analysis too much, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the conclusion was we need to wait at least two weeks before analysing the images).

I’ve uploaded another 872 images which were all taken after 2 or 3 weeks of incubation so you should see much more growth. You may notice a join between the first and second well. These images are all for one drug (ethambutol) that you haven’t seen yet because, unlike all the other antibiotics we tested, the wells of this drug were arranged on the plate in an “L”-shape. (For more detail about the 96 well plates, read this post)

This made it difficult to write code to automatically “cut out” the wells for this antibiotic, but I’ve finally found some time to do it, hence the new images!

Given the rate at which everyone is working, I don’t think it will take long..

But don’t worry, I have some interesting images of Tuberculosis samples from a central Asian country all loaded and ready to go!



By Philip Fowler

Philip W Fowler is a computational biophysicist studying antimicrobial resistance working at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.